Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thankful but broke!!

The last four weeks the stress has been about $$$. My DH is out of work because he tore some muscles in his leg while coaching our son in flag football.


We have a lot to be thankful for because I have a really good job and bring home enough to pay most of the bills and with some juggling and tightening we have been getting by. I know that we are a lot better off than a lot of people we know. At least we both have jobs, and we are only slightly buried in credit debt. I have plenty of friends and coworkers who are buried under so much debt one false move or slight accident would make them lose everything they own.


I really am thankful because I have been able to reaccess alot of our spending in the last few weeks, and I know that if it comes down too it we could make it on my check, but it is tight!!


We are such wasteful people. We want to go out and eat instead of making a budget and menu to take to the grocery store. Cooking supper and taking the left overs for lunch is a novel idea. My Grandmother had the right idea. She would cook a small breakfast, a huge lunch, and we would have the leftovers for supper. My Grandparents only went out to eat on special occasions such as a birthday.

We run to the store everyday and spend $10 or $15 on average extra picking up impulse items . If we had made a list and stuck to it, the only money spent during the week would be for gas to get to and from work.

From this experience, I have learned how much money we need in an emergency fund, and how much a week we had been wasting on frivolous things that we did not need to spend money on.

I am thankful that my husband did not have to have surgery and will be fully recovered in a few weeks, and I am thankful for the fiscal lessons even though we are broke for the moment.

No comments: